We sure that by now everyone has heard about the deadly Corona virus. One natural response is “how close is it to me”. As it turns out, Johns Hopkins University has utilized (as of February 11, 2020) ArcGIS to produce a nearly real time map.
The following screen capture was taken on March 3rd when it was just getting started in the United States. At the time there was over 3000 deaths world wide.
While we know more about mapping than we will ever know about medical, there are a few simple and easy things to do to help you avoid contracting the disease.
- Wash your hands frequently, using disinfecting soap for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Do not touch your face, mouth or rub your eyes unless you just cleaned your hands.
- Avoid unnecessary contact with anyone until the virus runs it’s course.
Also, be considerate of others! You may not know you are infected yet but can be contagious to others.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay at home if you’re sick, DO NOT go about your usual activities.
- Stay away from the elderly or those with existing disabling conditions.
Of course there is much more information available at state and federal websites.